COVID-19 Government Support
The Chancellor, Rishi Sunak, announced a new scheme at the end of March to support self-employed people impacted by coronavirus. It’s about to launch ahead of schedule and we’re writing to you because you might be eligible to make a claim under the scheme.
The Self-Employment Income Support Scheme provides a taxable grant of 80% of average monthly trading profits, paid in an initial single instalment of up to a total of £7,500. This initial grant must be claimed before 13 July 2020.
A second and final grant may be claimed in August 2020. The second grant will be capped at 70% of your average profits up to a maximum of £6,570 for the three months to August 2020. a new invitation to claim will be sent by HMRC.
This email sets out how to check your eligibility and how to make a claim.
How to check if you are eligible
Search GOV.UK for ‘Self-Employment Income Support Scheme’ from Monday 4 May.
To complete this eligibility check, you’ll need to have your:
- National Insurance number – if you don’t know this, go to the HMRC app, your online tax account or ask your tax agent (if you have one).
- Self Assessment Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number – you can find this on your self assessment papers or from your agent.
If we confirm you are eligible, you’ll then need your: Government Gateway user ID and password – if you don’t have an account, or have forgotten your details, follow the instructions on GOV.UK by searching for the ‘Self-Employment Income Support Scheme’. Please check your contact details are correct in your Government Gateway account.
You cannot access the financial support yet. We’ll send you another email soon to tell you when the claim system is available for you to use. We expect this to be between 13 and 18 May.
How to make a claim
You’ll need to make the claim yourself, although you can seek advice from an agent if you use one.
Once we have contacted you with your claim date, please follow these simple steps to make your claim:
- All you will need are your Government Gateway user ID and password, bank account number and sort code.
- We will calculate the income support you’re entitled to, based on the information you have submitted in your previous tax returns.
- After we’ve received your claim and verified it, we’ll pay the money directly into your bank account within six working days.
Please only call us if you cannot find the support you need on GOV.UK or our webchat service – this will leave our lines open for those who need our help most.
A word about scams
We are aware of an increase in scam emails, calls and texts. If someone gets in touch claiming to be from HMRC, saying that financial help can be claimed or that a tax refund is owed, and asks you to click on a link or to give information such as your name, credit card or bank details, please do not respond. You can forward suspicious emails claiming to be from HMRC to [email protected] and texts to 60599.